If you break or chip a tooth, you should not hesitate to get to a dentist. This alarming problem can happen to anyone, at any time, but a fast response can make a big difference in the outcome of the tooth. Besides, a broken and/or chipped tooth is an aesthetic defect no one wants to endure. Our smile is so important as it is the first thing most people notice when they meet us or start talking to us. You do want to make a good impression on everyone that you meet, don’t you?
If you break or chip a tooth, follow the steps below.
1. Rinse your mouth out with water. Many people gargle lukewarm water after they lose a tooth but this isn’t absolutely necessary.
2. Apply gauze to the area and apply pressure. This should stop bleeding or reduce blood loss in extreme situations.
3. Did the entire tooth come out of your mouth? This is even scarier than a simple chipped or cracked tooth. Put the tooth in milk or a saline solution. This preserves the tooth long enough to get to the dentist.
4. Use a cold compress (sold at drugstores) to ease pain. Some people rotate between a hot and cold compress.
5. Visit the dentist as soon as possible. The dentist has many treatments to pick from, depending on the severity of the tooth damage and your preferences. This includes dental bonding, dental veneers, and even partial dentures st louis.
Cracking or chipping a tooth can happen, whether you’re playing a sport or sitting around with friends and family. Follow the steps above if you experience this mishap and you will not be disappointed with the dentist results that you enjoy.